Welsh Girl's Allotment

Hello World,(a bit ambitious as only my mam knows I am here yet !) This is my blog detailing my quest for an allotment, its cultivation and hopefully bountiful crops. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A HELLO !!!

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Rhubarb

I was ever so excited when these strange looking leaves poke out of the ground, my Dad picked his first rhubarb back at the beginning of March, so when these leaves popped out I was thrilled,
Three weeks of sun and a nice splash of rain and they are growing nicely, something is attacking the leaves, but they are poisonous so I not that bothered, the stalks are looking good a little bit more waiting and I will have my first rhubarb harvest

2 Comments:

At 8:59 am, Blogger Matron said...

I planted some new rhubarb crowns in the Winter too. Are yours newly planted? if so it would be better not to pick stalks in the first year if possible, they are better if you leave them to establish. Something is eating my leaves too - I bet it gave them a sore tummy!

 
At 9:26 am, Blogger welsh girls allotment said...

Hi Matron

these were rhubarb crowns that we in the ground when I took the plot over, we split them into three and stuck them back in with a handful of chicken manure and left them to their own devices !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home