Welsh Girl's Allotment

Hello World,(a bit ambitious as only my mam knows I am here yet !) This is my blog detailing my quest for an allotment, its cultivation and hopefully bountiful crops. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A HELLO !!!

Friday, March 02, 2007

First Rhubarb....for the Genie

The Allotment Genie has just sent me this photo of the the first rhubarb to be picked on his plot this year... along with a message that he is having rhubarb and custard for dessert today.
Has anybody else picked any rhubarb yet ?

4 Comments:

At 3:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!
I am also in Wales and blogged about my first rhubarb yesterday! Find me at http://gowen.org look forward to hearing from you.
I don't have an allotment, but am trying to grow veges in pots in my tiny garden

 
At 3:05 pm, Blogger Melanie Rimmer said...

No, I put loads of compost on my rhubarb crowns, and an upturned bucket covered in compost on one crown for forcing way back in January. But although it is starting to come up, I haven't got any stalks big enough to harvest yet. Other people on our allotment site have long stalks already, although there are many like me who are slower to get going. Could you ask your dad what is the secret for early rhubarb, then?

 
At 9:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pciked a tiny bit as an exchange for hops and muck from a friend. In truth it isn't really ready yet on my plot.
http://organicallotment.typepad.com

 
At 9:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Followed the links from the Observer blog to here ... hello!

Rhubarb was the first produce I picked off my allotment. The previous plotholder left three big crowns, so I took 5 stalks last Monday (21 April) and stewed them. I've got so much, it looks like my family will be having rhubarb at least once per week from now 'til July + lots for the freezer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home