Welsh Girl's Allotment

Hello World,(a bit ambitious as only my mam knows I am here yet !) This is my blog detailing my quest for an allotment, its cultivation and hopefully bountiful crops. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A HELLO !!!

Friday, March 02, 2007

Bring me my soap-box

I have tried to ensure that this blog stays allotment related, after all it is called the Welsh Girls Allotment !, I have so far resisted the temptation to wander off topic as I have lots of opinions on varied topics but I have decided to include this item as it is an important issue. I am concerned with the ammount of plastic carrier bags that are in circulation, even the new 'greener' biodegradable bags aren't of much use because all they do is degrade into smaller pieces of plastic as opposed to disappering altogether. I was browsing the forum on the 'Its not easy being green' website and came across this article http://www.itsnoteasybeinggreen.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4427 The lady has set up a website called http://www.morsbags.com/ . On here it gives you worrying information about the damage that plastic bags cause in the environment and also gives you instructions on how to make your own cloth bags, to carry around with you for your shopping needs. I am by no means perfect, I still use plastic bags, I do not pretend to be holier than thou but surely every bag we can save has to to better - little steps will achieve a big end result !

3 Comments:

At 12:27 pm, Blogger Organic City Garden said...

What a great idea! I have a pile of trousers ready for the charity shop but I have now salvaged a couple of pairs of cords which should make great guerilla bags!

Thank you for your welcome post at my new blog - you are SOOO right about losing hours reading through blogs! I have added you to my favourites!

 
At 10:35 am, Blogger antipodesgirl said...

Hello! Here in France, the three major supermarket chains and some of the smaller ones have stopped giving out bags! They kindly give you one or two if you buy say clothes or really smelly stuff like fish, but other than that you bring your own bags. Of course they sell big plastic or woven bags for about 10 cents that you can swap when they are worn. But it's a start. I now keep a few big bags in the boot of the car just in case I get caught out at the shops! Now the French are far from green, but I was surprised at how they accepted this without a murmur. Even the most bougeois housewives now turn up with ratty old bags and don't blink an eyelid. Why don't they just do this in Britain? A unilateral decision... The supermarkets may be surprised at how people just accept it as fact and adapt.

 
At 6:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to Sri Lanka at Xmas and even over there, they have stopped giving out carrier bags. If no one gives them out, we would have to re-use bags. I try and take material bags when I go shopping, but that means when I just 'pop' somewhere I have to use a plastic one. When you know what the eventuality of them is, you do feel a pang of guilt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home