Welsh Girl's Allotment

Hello World,(a bit ambitious as only my mam knows I am here yet !) This is my blog detailing my quest for an allotment, its cultivation and hopefully bountiful crops. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A HELLO !!!

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Wine Making

As usual blogger is playing silly buggers with the order in which my photos appear so they are actually in the reverse order that I want them to be so bear with me as the process will now seem backwards !


After following up a recent offer on Freecycle for 12 demi-johns my first wine is on the go. I chose a kit for my first attempt so that hopefull it couldn't go wrong - time will tell ! Yesterday we were ready for the racking stage, not a s painfull as it sounds it merely translates as decanting the wine from one demi-john to another whilst leaving the muddy scuzzy stuff behind in the original jar

The first photo shows the final stage one demi-john with scuzz remianing and one with my wine
The second photo shows the wine being decanted from one jar to another, I had a sneaky taste to get the flow going through the siphoning pipe(thanks for a lend mam!) and it is actually quite nice! - it also highlights how messy my kitchen is - please try to ignore and concentrate on the demi-johns !!

...and this photo show the first stage, which the wine has reached after about 2 1/2 weeks of plopping away, please ignore close up of mess on the work top !!
So the wine has been racked and is now going through a three day stage after which I need to add more chemicals and allow to mature, I haven't looked into all the chemicals I am adding to this wine but I think for my next attempt I will follow a recipe and use a more natural approach.

3 Comments:

At 6:12 pm, Blogger The Big Fat Witch said...

cor...looking good! well done you!

 
At 5:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Making wine looks hard - our next door neighbour has about 20 apple trees and the amount of apples he had last year made me think I may make cider this year - has the wine making been okay....should I try cider? I have loads of elderberrys in my garden...I may even give that a bash.

p.s(I'm new to blogging...please check out my site http://coffeeandapplepie.wordpress.com)
Cheers cat x

 
At 12:20 pm, Blogger Angel Way said...

Are they chocolate rice crispie cakes I see in the background. I used to love those.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home