Welsh Girl's Allotment

Hello World,(a bit ambitious as only my mam knows I am here yet !) This is my blog detailing my quest for an allotment, its cultivation and hopefully bountiful crops. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A HELLO !!!

Monday, February 12, 2007

Chitting

Here we go !! the first growing season on the Welsh Girls Allotment is under way ! Everybody else in blogland is chitting and not one to be left I thougth I would as well. In the pics you will see Saxon and Sante both purchase from Alan Romans.

Chitting to the uninitiated involves exposing the seed potatoes to non direct sunlight and a bit of warmth to encourage sprouting before they are planted. Chitting is a very personal thing I have learnt, with lots of people thinking it completely unnessecary and other planning it like a military operation. I have chosen the 'oh @*&$ those bloody potatoes are still in the bags' approach and stuck them in egg boxes on top of my stereo today

This photo is of my Saxon's, whilst potato shopping I was flummoxed by the range of potatoes with different qualities and tolerances so I took the girls way out and chose these purely for their name! Saxon are an excellent band 747, Strangers in the Night, Denim and Leather, these are all songs that will be going through my head as I plant them.

This is a picture of my Santes, I chose these as they are good when they are small for salads -apparently - time will tell.

It is plain to see that really speaking one potato looks much the same as another so I have labelled the trays so that I know which is which and my husband in under strict instructions not to meddle with them.

I have also bought Home Guard from my local pet shop, for no other reason than I like the story behind the name, they were introduced during World War 2 as part of the Dig for Victory campaign, I have an information sheet on them somewhere and when I find it I will put the info up. I have not put these out to chit yet as I have nearly finished half a dozen eggs and when do they can have that box!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home