Welsh Girl's Allotment

Hello World,(a bit ambitious as only my mam knows I am here yet !) This is my blog detailing my quest for an allotment, its cultivation and hopefully bountiful crops. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A HELLO !!!

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Another miserable day...

Yet another grotty day, but I was daft enough to go down the lottie, you see I haven't been for about two weeks due to the wind and rain and thought that as it was only light showers today instead of the usual stair rods I would put a big waterproof coat on and go and 'do something'.

I was lucky to get there at all, as I crossed the road to get to the horrible steps(see previous posts !!) of the two black bags of compost I was carrying, one decided to disintegrate, so there I am picking up squishy veg and ashes and bits of black plastic in the now heavy rain looking like a bag lady. So, before I get there I am wet muddy and cross, anyway got to the plot dumped the compost and went to hide in the shipping container that we store our stuff in as the rain was getting heavier. After a short while I deemed it safe to go out, my mother warned me before I went that it was too wet to dig but I thought I would go and have look, she was of course right - mothers always are, look at the state of my boots, delectable Doc Martens that my mother bought for me in a lovely shop in Glastonbury years and years ago - actually looking at the photo you cannot really appreciate the mud - trust me I was there it was sticky and yucky

Here is one of the sections that I dug over - don't get to excited, my Dad started it about three weeks ago, so I thought I had at least better match the piece he had turned over - so I did. Even though the rain was persistantly coming down I had to take my coat off as I was getting hot - effort + two jumpers + unfit digger = coat off even in the rain. To the right of the picture you can see one of my brilliant Christmas present from my Mam and Dad, a green bag, wow-wee you may think but this is no ordinary little green bag, a little seat attaches to the side - perfect for skiving when the sun comes out, also two trowels, secataurs, fork, and a roll of wire, also a multitude of pockets around the outside for important 'stuff'
I was really impressed with the size of this worm that I dug up - impressed and sad enough to take a picture of it, I was actually a bit cross with him/her as by the time I got my camera it had shrunk, when it was streching itself to work along the soil it was half as long again. It was wriggling along under the couch grass I had the pleasure of fighting with, grrr, I can see the cardboard,manure and black plastic method being employed very soon !
I also decided to turn the original plot over today as well, I had intended to turn over all the unused soil but I got wetter,fed up and thirsty but the time I had done half of it and decided that half is better than none. The rain we have been having in large quantities since November has compacted this soil and a lot of sand has risen to the surface, so I wanted to dig it over a bit just in case we ever get a frost which can help to break it down more.

6 Comments:

At 10:43 am, Blogger Melanie Rimmer said...

Couch grass is evil. I'm wrestling with it too, in the new part of my allotment that I intend to put soft fruit in. It'ss play havoc with strawberries if I don't get it out, but I'm sick of the sight of it.

 
At 8:21 pm, Blogger Shirl said...

You brave person......:~)

Lots of luck with it.

 
At 12:56 pm, Blogger The Hilltops Crew said...

Blimey, I wish I could find that sort of motivation. Roll on the spring.

 
At 3:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your'e a star getting stuck in like that. I could almost hear the rain hammering on the roof of the container as you stood huddled beneath. Good on you.

 
At 2:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have been enjoying your blog and have it on my regular reading list but i don't like the music because i have my own music playing. also, i can't get rid of your music logo to read what is under it. i need help! thanks.

 
At 12:11 pm, Blogger The Big Fat Witch said...

I think you are doing a great job, keep it up - you are doing really well with your lottie!

I have added you to my reads list, I hope this is ok!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home