Welsh Girl's Allotment

Hello World,(a bit ambitious as only my mam knows I am here yet !) This is my blog detailing my quest for an allotment, its cultivation and hopefully bountiful crops. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A HELLO !!!

Sunday, October 08, 2006

A proper allotment !!

This gorgeous allotment comes to you courtesy of my Dad and Mantis rotivators (other rotivators are availiable - as they would say on the BBC). He brought his rotivator yesterday and whilst I and my daughter picked stones and moved brambles and rubbish he rotivated the plot for me,it looks so good even if I do say so myself. I have never seen a rotivator in action before and I was very impressed it has left the soil in such a fine tilth and in drills that I could just plant straight into it. So now I need to buy some broad beans and get them in sharpish, as mentioned previously spring cabbage and onions are on the way and I have some winter lettuce and spring onions to go in as well.

I also recieved some interesting info yesterday from one of the other plot holders, he says that our site is approx three weeks behind for the growing cycle. He is still picking runner beans whereas on my Dad's allotment everybody composted thiers about a fortnight ago. This got me thinking that technically my plot could still be classed as being in September so I may be able to get some sowings of plant by September seeds in and then maybe put cloches over them for extra protection. I read somewhere that you can still put late carrots in just to have teeny ones for Christmas dinner so I think I will try that and see how it goes. It would also fit in with the growing against adversity comp http://selfsufficientish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2831 over at Self Sufficient-ish, if they are slightly out of season.






The plot has a slight tump(Valley speak for mound) in the middle and it slopes off to the bottom left as you look at he pic, so I need to rake this out to try and even the surface out a bit. I will never get it pefectly straight as I am situated in the Welsh Valley's and everything is on a hill!

However this plot is looking damm fine and as soon as we have our bonfire I can crack on with the next plot !!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home