Welsh Girl's Allotment

Hello World,(a bit ambitious as only my mam knows I am here yet !) This is my blog detailing my quest for an allotment, its cultivation and hopefully bountiful crops. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A HELLO !!!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Monday night's work

This patch has been allocated as the emergency potato patch, I say emergency because its getting very late for potatoes, fortunately the label say they can be planted up as late as June but I don't want to wait that long.

This patch isn't ideal as it was last years potato patch and we all know that we should rotate our crops properly but the spot I had intended to plant them is going to be a lot harder to dig than I thought and I think time will overtake so they are being shoved in here with compost and lots of hope.

It has to be dug before I can plant and I was supprised just how hard it was to dig. Even though it looks weed free, the sun has baked the surface to a hard crust, I didn't fancy faffing around watering it so I just got on with it.



I got this far and I got fed up, there is only a small bit left so I will have to finish it off on Tuesday and then get the potatoes in.


I wandered off and looked for another job. Back in the beginning when I took this plot on I found a length of green netting which I put safe and tonight it came useful for creating support for the peas. I am not sure how good it will be - time will tell.


Gave everything a good soaking, if you look carefully the cottage garden flower bed is starting to yield seedlings, I am hoping that this will look great and pull in lots of beneficial bugs !!


A full length shot of the plot just to see how things are beginning to take shape.

6 Comments:

At 12:14 pm, Blogger dND said...

Don't feel downhearted at not getting the other area done, look back at the pictures from last year and remind yourself just how much you have achieved over the year.

Some days I feel I've got nowhere but then I look back through the photos I've taken for my blog and realise I've actually done lots, it's just that I'm trying to do even more so I'm spread a bit thin :-D

 
At 10:08 pm, Blogger Eddie 2-Sox said...

dnd has it right! You're doing great. It does seem like progress is slow, but it's like anything in life. If you're there all the time you don't notice progress. But look in at longer intervals and you marvel at the progress.

You're doing a fab job....

 
At 7:44 am, Blogger Matron said...

I've still got a few seed potatoes that I need to get in. I think I will plant them in plastic compost bags. Should be OK for a later crop.

 
At 11:43 am, Blogger Melanie Rimmer said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this approach to plot rotation. I know it's supposed to go potatoes, root veg, legumes then brassicas, but on my plot it usually goes "Oh damn, where have I got some space for these spuds?"

 
At 8:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI THERE JUST A QUICK NOTE KEEP IT GOING YOU ARE DOING REALY WELL WHAT IS YOUR SOIL LIKE DOWN THAT PARTS OF WALE,S HOPE YOU WILL SOME DAY HAVE A LOOK A MY BLOG OK

 
At 5:29 am, Blogger JD said...

Keep at it, some of us are only mere mortals.
I think I'm doing well then I look at other plots and think 'why bother' but looking back a lot has been achieved and there is ALWAYS something needing done. As for rotation try it next year, I'm still sticking stuff in where there's a space.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home