Welsh Girl's Allotment

Hello World,(a bit ambitious as only my mam knows I am here yet !) This is my blog detailing my quest for an allotment, its cultivation and hopefully bountiful crops. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A HELLO !!!

Saturday, April 05, 2008

2nd Job - The Cinder Path

No you haven't stumbled upon a Catherine Cookson book tribute !

This is simply a tale of more recycling - allotment style. I have multifuel stove to warm my front room and it will eat anything wood or coal. Just before Christmas we were offered aprrox two tonnes of coal for free as long as we shifted it ourselves. My husband and the allotment genie (aka my dad) spent a freezing cold afternoon slaving away to shift the coal and it has kept us toasty warm ever since.

When we were burning just logs there was hardly any waste - the fire would need clearing out once every few weeks so the ash went into the compost. However the coal is a bit dead and as a result quite clinkery - if you weren't brought up with a coal fire that sentance will be pure gobbledegook - quick translation the coal doesn't burn very well and leaves a lot of small ash and coal behind !

This waste would probably end up in landfil only I have decided to use it on my paths. I have collected cardboard from the shops i n town on bin day ( more recycling !) and laid this down and poured the ash out over it and raked it out.



What I thought was a lot of cinder turned out to very little when laid out -this is four months of burning and I have covered about a quarter of the path - at this rate it will take an eternity to cover the complete path - but at least the bit I have done looks a lot better than it did.


The grass grows exceptionally quickly at this time of the year and I want to get it squashed down as it looked apalling last year.

6 Comments:

At 10:53 pm, Blogger Mrs Dragon said...

Hi there... just stumbled on your blog via the allotment site!

I'm just starting out on this journey so I'll be having a good old read of your blog for tips!

Keep up the good work :-)

 
At 8:05 am, Blogger Matron said...

I love to see people re-using and re-cycling stuff for their allotments. Things don't go as far as you would like them to when you spread them on the soil do they? I bought a load of woodchips and they just went nowhere!

 
At 10:16 pm, Blogger John Going Gently said...

i thought you'd died

 
At 5:32 pm, Blogger Alan said...

good use of cinders! I should try that next to the beds in my greenhouse. Grass keeps sneaking in from outside.

 
At 11:20 am, Blogger She Who Digs said...

Hi there, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Great use for a waste product that would otherwise go in a whole in the ground! I remember running on a cinder covered athletic track as a child- make sure you don't fall over on it as will take the skin off your knees!! Take care, SWD

 
At 1:14 pm, Blogger Heather @ Wiggly Wigglers said...

I have a cinder path too - it makes a good hard surface with a bit of wear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home