Welsh Girl's Allotment

Hello World,(a bit ambitious as only my mam knows I am here yet !) This is my blog detailing my quest for an allotment, its cultivation and hopefully bountiful crops. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A HELLO !!!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Onions

Due to the hopefully imminent start of the Great Raised Bed Project, Monday mornings job was to raise the onions and weed the bed and also raise my last two rows of potatoes and weed that bed.

Harvested all of the onions and then started to dig the bed over, didn't get very far as I couldn't dig, not laziness this time but due to a car accident on the weekend poor little Welsh Girl is aching too much, I had to give up and have a sit down and then go home.

I was hoping that if I had a few painkillers and kept moving I would be OK, but it was not to be, this is as far as I got - and this took two attempts, with a bit of luck things will sort themselves out by the end of the week and I can get back to normal.




On a brighter note here are my onions drying out in one those silly plastic greenhouses, I say silly because anybody who owns one will know that anything more than a gentle breeze will send the damn thing crashing over - hence the half breeze block on the bottom shelf !!



The observant amongst you will note that some if not most of the onions are same size as when they went into the ground, this is one of the reasons for the Great Raised Bed Project, there are pockets of goodness in the soil and vast areas of nothing even with liberal ammounts of chicken manure. The big idea is that the raised beds will allow the concentration of compost and other goodies and help the crops to grow better - we'll see.

6 Comments:

At 6:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your accident! Hope it's not serious and that you'll be OK shortly.
I have that crappy 'greenhouse', too. It's shite, isn't it? The seams on the plastic cover perish every two seasons and anything not on the top shelf gets no light. Trouble is, I have no room at home for anything better
(PS I, too, have bricks on the lowest shelf to weigh it down).

 
At 5:53 pm, Blogger Matron said...

I sympathize with your aching! I just moved about 2 tons of manure and compost today! had a fantastic time. Are you going to string the onions?

 
At 7:38 pm, Blogger dee said...

Iwas thinking of getting one of those greenhouses, dont think ill bother now..
Hope your better soon

 
At 8:58 pm, Blogger H and N allotment said...

I have just seen your allotment and I am very jealous - I want an allotment too - I love all the photos.

 
At 9:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time here so I wanted to say hello. Love all your pictures of your allotment. Hope you start feeling less pain soon. I'm looking forward to visiting again. Take care,
Salina

 
At 5:10 am, Blogger Christina said...

I hope you feel better soon!

You and I are in the same boat right now with the dirt work. It's some tough going, that's for sure. Keep it up, for I'm confident you'll find it very rewarding.

Raised beds rock!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home