Welsh Girl's Allotment

Hello World,(a bit ambitious as only my mam knows I am here yet !) This is my blog detailing my quest for an allotment, its cultivation and hopefully bountiful crops. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A HELLO !!!

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Look what I found hiding in the compost

I thought it was about time I turned the compost, this will ensure that all the material in there will rot down evenly and create beautiful compost. I turned out both of the dalek style bins and as I was turning the second heap out slithered this gorgeous slow worm. It was a good job he moved when he did as I was using a fork to turn the heap and I would have been devastated if I had stuck him with it.



He was a well behaved slow worm as he waited for me to get my camera and take a picture before he slithered off to safety



I lifted the daleks up and found that the compostable material I have been filling the bins up with for months had become quite compacted, so I got the fork out of the shed and began to turn both of the heaps over.
Although on the surface it wasn't looking very good, when I removed the top inch or so which hadn't yet rotted underneath was the best looking 'earth' I have ever seen, it smelt beautifu,l it looked beautiful and it make me feel very good that I had made this myself with stuff that most people send off to the landfil site

All of this fantastic compost will be utilised in the Great Raised Bed Project over the winter months ready for the spring planting.

1 Comments:

At 8:00 pm, Blogger Matron said...

Compost heaps are a riot of wildlife! I have to turn it almost weekly in the Summer, disturbing beetles, mice, frogs, worms galore. I'm about to start building a big one for Winter. I will fire it up with lots of fresh, steaming horse manure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home