Welsh Girl's Allotment

Hello World,(a bit ambitious as only my mam knows I am here yet !) This is my blog detailing my quest for an allotment, its cultivation and hopefully bountiful crops. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A HELLO !!!

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Back to the plot !!

After chickens and darts, perhaps its time to get back to the plot. Its time to make a start on the lawn as I have nicknamed it. Its an embarassment to see, I still blame the slugs for eating all of my pumpkin seedlings - the plan was to fill this area with the pumpkins and as they were eaten by slugs late in the season I was at a loss as what to fill the space with. The strawberry bed (the great big grassy bit next to the path) is in serious need of attention, the pine needles from the christmas tree are waiting to go on them as mulch, they help to enhance the flavour and supposedly act as a weed suppressent - it obviously didn't work last year !!
I want clear this section as this is where I intend to plant the potatoes, I have been thinking about how to take care of them this year, I am considering planting the potatoes in shallow trenchs and when the foliage comes through I will cover the potato patch with weed suppressent fabric and have small holes for the foliage. I was wondering if this would be a way of arresting the growth of the weeds and helping the potatoes.

As I thought the blue tarpaulin did not fully block out the light, so when I had a sneaky peep, the couch was there laughing at me. So for the moment I thought as the couch comes off the uncovered part of the plot I will throw it on top of the tarpaulin and this may omit the light. The soil on the plot quite clayey so when I dig up a chunk of couch a few pounds of earth come with it. I intend to try and wash off the earth before throwing the couch in the site skip - I do not trust couch to ever to be dead enough to compost.

8 Comments:

At 9:47 pm, Blogger RobD said...

If I was you I'd put the weed suppressing fabric down first, cut some holes in it and plant the spuds through it. It's a bit of a sod trying to put the stuff down over plants that are already in situ.

 
At 9:15 pm, Blogger John Going Gently said...

hello there
another welsh allotment and hen keeper here!

nice to see your blog!
john

 
At 11:51 am, Blogger Nome said...

Hi,
Love the blog! I'm on a quest to get a few more visitors to my own allotment blog. Please pay me a visit! Would you be willing to link to me if I return the favour?

http://nomegrown.blogspot.com/

Thanks, and good luck on the plot this year!

 
At 2:29 pm, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

Only problem with covering your spuds like that is how hard it'll be to earth them up as they grow.

The bushy leaves of the plant itself should cover the ground enough that weeds don't grow too much and the regular earthing up should help keep the weeds at bay as well as helping improve your crop. :)

Nice blog by the way! :)

 
At 3:46 pm, Blogger Pretty Practicals said...

Hi, just dropped in to say hello and that I like your blog, best wishes, Liz

 
At 10:52 pm, Blogger redimp said...

Hi Bob - Couch will rot down. I bag mine for a year in inside out old compost bags then put it in my compost heap. My Dad doesn't believe me but after two year in the dark, it is well and truly composted. Wardy also swears by just covering hers. Where I have done this for a few months in good weather, with plastic, the soil comes away from the roots very easily, and in the bag they go.

 
At 6:49 pm, Blogger Kayle Garkut said...

Yet another Welsh allotee here!Like reading your blog, looking forward to the next update.

 
At 1:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya, good luck for this year. You up in the north or south of Wales - I am originally from Llanfairfechan near Bangor but I live in Germany now. Sowed seeds just this morning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home