Welsh Girl's Allotment

Hello World,(a bit ambitious as only my mam knows I am here yet !) This is my blog detailing my quest for an allotment, its cultivation and hopefully bountiful crops. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A HELLO !!!

Monday, April 28, 2008

Potatoes, chitting, earthing up

I was getting desperate to get the potatoes in the ground - the poor things have been chitting since late January and its getting a bit late in the season for them to be still hanging around.

The weather forecast in Wales this last week has been way off the maek - yesterday was supposed to be torrential rain all day - but it turned out to be a lovely day, I cleaned out the fish pond and cut the grass in the back garden at home and dug out a flower bed in the front garden - so much for the rain.

With this in mind I was a bit concerned that for the entire week we have been promised rain - but true to form this afternoon and evening we beautiful - so off to the plot I went.

I had earmarked last years onion bed as this years potato patch, like everything else it needed weeding so ...


after I had weeded it and turned it over ...


I dug out a wonky trench and threw the spuds in .... straight lines are not my strong point ...


I filled that trench in and did the same again for another row and a different variety - I didn't label them so I don't know what they are - I will take more care next year I promise !!


It looks like they have already been earthed up but they haven't the tumps you can see are the piles of earth ready to use for earthing up !



All in all for an hour an a half's work I was mighty pleased. The couch is proving a difficult beast to master on the other plot and it was such a pleasure to able to dig this through so easily this evening.

6 Comments:

At 7:17 am, Blogger RobD said...

I have the same problem with straight lines! It's more of a 'rustic' feel anyway ;>)

Have you been on the plot in the dark again?!

Rob

 
At 8:12 am, Blogger Mandy said...

I can't do straight lines either! Its looking good.

 
At 9:25 am, Blogger antipodesgirl said...

hello Welsh Girl! as I got tagged by Marigold at marigoldmemoirs, you are in turned being tagged on Pushing up the daisies!
The rules:
* Link to the person who tagged you.
* Post the rules on your blog.
* Write six random things about yourself. And answer the questions below.
* Tag six people at the end of your post linking to their blog.
* Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
* Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

If you would like to follow up on this tag, just let me know when you have finished. It is a great way to spread the links of our blogs that we work so hard on. (but of course you won't get hit by lightning if you don't...)
Cheers,
Antipodes

 
At 10:54 am, Blogger Mrs Be said...

Had a little chuckle at your straight lines comment, they're not my forte either. The plot next to me has *very* straight lines - would love to see how she does it but she's never there when I am.

 
At 2:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe hiya i like you blog but mainly as a lurker, Don't worry about the straight lines, Nature doesn't.

 
At 6:09 pm, Blogger Amy said...

Well done for getting the potatoes in. I finally managed to get mine in last weekend, in suitably wonky lines, but it was a bit of a killer to have to dig the bed and then plant them in one afternoon.

Maybe next year I will prepare the beds before I actually need to plants things in them!

Great blog by the way :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home