Welsh Girl's Allotment

Hello World,(a bit ambitious as only my mam knows I am here yet !) This is my blog detailing my quest for an allotment, its cultivation and hopefully bountiful crops. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A HELLO !!!

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Wigwam Bam

I couldn't decide how to support my Cherokee Trail of Tears beans, I consulted the Genie, should I have a row of criss-cross poles as used for runner beans, or a row of equally spaced poles with wool in between or a wig wam, wig wam was the the firm response. I arranged to borrow some bean poles from my neighbour and set off to the plot. I dug a nice patch of ground over and began to stick the poles in the ground as far as I could. The Genie warned me to be very careful as the poles can splinter very quickly and cause nasty accidents so with this in mind I stuck them in as far as I could without too much force.


As usual I hadn't given much thought as to how I was going to create the wig-wam apart from stick the poles and tie them around the top.


I am short, there is no escaping it and five foot person has trouble tying up a seven foot wigwam, so I got a chair to stand on seemed perfectly reasonable until I stood on the chair and sank into the freshly dug soil !


I managed to tie in all but one of the canes and I as I tried to turn around to grab the last cane I realised that I was trapped inside my creation. Feeling pretty stupid and thankful that I was on my own I managed to wriggle out of my trap and eventually got the chair out ! After tying in the final cane I stepped back and admired my creation, whilst I'll admit it is a bit scraggy at the top its there and hopefully it will withstand the weight of the beans and the wind.


10 Comments:

At 2:58 pm, Blogger Shirl said...

You have a lovely view from your allotment. Good luck with the beans.....:0)

 
At 3:00 pm, Blogger welsh girls allotment said...

Not bad for an old colliery site and waste tip is it !!

 
At 5:25 pm, Blogger RobD said...

I wish there were pictures of you on the chair at the moment you realised your predicament!

I take it the chair is there until the beans have finished? Still be handy for harvesting...!!!

 
At 6:56 pm, Blogger welsh girls allotment said...

I telephoned my mam when I came back from the plot and she was weak with laughter - I was after a bit of sympathy !!

Fortunately with a bit of a wiggle the chair came out but I had to re-align one of the posts.

Luckily there was nobody at the plot to capture the moment I got stuck, my hair was tangled up in the green plastic coated wire I was using to tie the canes, so I was getting quite cross !

 
At 8:31 am, Blogger She Who Digs said...

Hi there, as least you could laugh at yourself! Re blackfly on broad beans, have you pinched out the top 4 inch of growing tip? This is supposed to help, but the infestation as how spread to most of my plants too. I will try your suggestion of soapy water spray and see what happens. When picking them, I've been using gloves then soaking the pods in salt water in the washing up bowl, then rinsing before shelling. It stops everything getting black with squished flys! SWD

 
At 7:31 pm, Blogger Melanie Rimmer said...

I nearly wet myself laughing at this. Brilliant!

 
At 8:29 pm, Blogger Matron said...

You could stretch a sheet round it and live inside it !

 
At 1:36 pm, Blogger clairesgarden said...

very impressed with your fab wigwam!

 
At 8:29 am, Blogger Rhys Wynne said...

Nice idea for a blog. If you'd like some more 'local' readers, why not ask to be added to www.blogcymru.com and www.welshblogs.com.

 
At 7:42 pm, Blogger clodhopper said...

Is there a video? Great wigwam though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home