Welsh Girl's Allotment

Hello World,(a bit ambitious as only my mam knows I am here yet !) This is my blog detailing my quest for an allotment, its cultivation and hopefully bountiful crops. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS, EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A HELLO !!!

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

Sorry for the delay in posting can't believe a whole month has passed since the the last post, I have been to the plot, just haven't been reporting back. Things were plodding along nicely until I went away for a fortnight and its all gone a bit pear shaped, hence the the title !

Under here is a compost bin and an atlantic giant pumpkin which is romping away under he brambles !



My bean frame collapsed whilst I was away.


Sunflowers are flourishing.


Somewhere in there are peas and broad beans.


The cornflowers are looking beautiful, hopefully I can save some seed especially from the pink ones as they look so delicate.



The sweetcorn has become very impressive in my abscence, unfortunately they are hiding the dahlias in the distance.





The pumpkins underneath the sweetcorn are beginning to swell, I have lifted this one off the floor and placed it one a brick as this is supposed to stop them rotting on the ground.





Dahlias are growing well but I think they may need to be pruned a bit soon as they will be merging with the sweetcorn !



Problems with the tomatoes, plenty of flowers but no fruit, a few weeds but easily sorted out, also my neighbour has blight on her potatoes, so if the insect don't polinate them the blight will probably get them grrr !





I have kept the best until last, although its not a very good picture, my first attempt at a'wall' of sweet peas has turned out quite well and the smell is amazing !! There are more them, but they are out of shot and they are equally beautiful



The next set of pictures will show the recovery operation to get things under control !!

2 Comments:

At 9:37 pm, Blogger Matron said...

Things just need picking and picking this time of year or they will become monsters!

 
At 11:01 pm, Blogger GrittyPretty said...

Hi Welsh Girl,

I love your blog! Thanks for all of the pictures! I can't get enough of pictures of crops and so its nice to "meet" a kindred soul even if its from the other side of the world.

good luck with your gardening! i'll be watching from afar!

- Raquel, from Utah, USA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home